close
close
2 teens charged in drive-by shooting in West Duluth – Duluth News Tribune
2 teens charged in drive-by shooting in West Duluth – Duluth News Tribune

DULUTH – Two teenagers have been charged in connection with a drive-by shooting between two moving vehicles that left at least one home struck by gunfire last week.

Nathaniel Ryan Robarge, 18, of Duluth, was arraigned Monday in state District Court on charges of aiding and abetting a drive-by shooting and aiding and abetting a crime after the fact in the incident Friday morning in Denfeld Township.

Nathaniel Ryan Robarge.jpg

Nathaniel Ryan Robarge

A 16-year-old Duluth boy was also charged in juvenile court with aiding and abetting two crimes: drive-by shooting and reckless discharge of a firearm within a municipality.

According to court documents, witnesses reported seeing two cars chasing each other on residential streets in the area of ​​41st Avenue West and Fifth Street shortly after 7 a.m.

At least one observer then saw a suspect matching the description of the 16-year-old hanging out the driver’s side of a white car and firing at a gold vehicle. About four or five shots were heard, according to police reports.

Investigators said at least two witnesses saw the gunman run into his home, a duplex at 4114 ½ W. Fifth Street.

Another witness reported seeing a suspect, believed to be Robarge, driving a white car through an alley with a black handgun in his hand. Another person said he was seen picking up shell casings from the street before police arrived.

Records show that officers went to the scene and found a white Pontiac Grand Prix behind the duplex. Three men, including the two suspects, left the house on police orders.

The teen reportedly admitted to taking the gun from the car into the duplex, but denied firing. Police said bullet holes were found in a home across the street and several .45-caliber shell casings were discovered in the street.

According to a complaint, a .45 caliber pistol was also found hidden in a laundry basket in the semi-detached house.

Robarge declined to speak to investigators.

So far, no motive for the shooting has been released, nor are the identities of the occupants of the other car known. Police said no injuries were reported.

Judge Nicole Hopps set Robarge’s bail at $50,000. The suspected shooter also remained in custody at the Arrowhead Juvenile Center.

The third man, 20-year-old Keshawn Jaden Cotton of Danville, Illinois, has not been charged in connection with the shooting, but he was taken into custody and faces extradition to his home state on charges of a stolen vehicle and theft.

Tom Olsen

Tom Olsen has covered crime and courts and the 8th Congressional District for the Duluth News Tribune since 2013. He is a graduate of the University of Minnesota Duluth and has lived in the city since birth. Readers can reach Olsen at 218-723-5333 or [email protected].

By Liam