Father from Gwinnett led a car chase with son at 160 km/h on I-85 N: Police
Father from Gwinnett led a car chase with son at 160 km/h on I-85 N: Police

DULUTH, GA — A Lawrenceville man is accused of leading a police chase on Interstate 85 North with his 2-year-old son in the car, according to Gwinnett County police and an incident report obtained by Patch.

The chase took place around 1 a.m. on June 14 on I-85 near Indian Trail Lilburn Road and ended in an Acacia Court neighborhood, according to police and video footage obtained by Patch. The bodycam and aerial footage span 1 minute and 33 seconds.

Subscribe to

According to police and the accident report, a task force officer was on duty when he encountered 21-year-old Alessio Vaduva driving a black BMW on I-85 at about 100 mph.

When the officer tried to stop the BMW, Vaduva fled the scene, driving at least 190 km/h, according to police and the accident report. The BMW kept swerving in traffic, according to the report.

The police department’s flight unit then began pursuing the BMW as it drove off onto Pleasant Hill Road with its lights off, police said.

According to the accident report, the BMW nearly collided with a patrol car after running a red light. Vaduva was accused of driving 110 mph in a 45 mph zone near Pleasant Hill and 90 mph in a 45 mph zone near Buford Highway.

During the chase, Vaduva was accused of hitting and moving a concrete shaft.

The BMW’s trail eventually led to a residential area near Acacia Court. According to police, Vaduva fled the scene with his son.

An Uber driver arrived in Acacia to take a customer to the hospital, police said. When officers finally found Vaduva, he had cuts on his legs, according to the accident report.

Vaduva was arrested and charged with suspicion of fleeing and eluding, reckless driving, speeding, unsafe lane change, driving without headlights, defective tires, operating an unsafe vehicle, failure to obey traffic control systems, violation of child restraint regulations and failure to perform duty when approaching buildings, police said. He was taken to the Gwinnett County Jail, police said.

The child was handed over to a family member and was unharmed, police said.

By Liam