Herefordshire fails, Suffolk advances in NCCA 50 Over
Herefordshire fails, Suffolk advances in NCCA 50 Over

Herefordshire war als Zweiter am Schlag, verfehlte sein Ziel gegen Suffolk jedoch um drei Runs <i>(Image: Stuart Townsend/Barcud-Coch Photography)</i>” bad-src=”–/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTY0MA–/″ src=”–/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTY0MA–/″/><button class=

Herefordshire batted second but fell short of their target against Suffolk by three runs. (Image: Stuart Townsend/Barcud-Coch Photography)

HEREFORDSHIRE narrowly missed out on victory and a place in the knockout stages of the NCCA 50-over competition when they were beaten by Suffolk by just three runs at Colwall.
Their victory means Suffolk are in the last eight of the competition, along with Norfolk.

Suffolk have only visited Herefordshire once before in this competition and that game at Brockhampton in 1995 produced one of the most remarkable results in the county’s history.

On this occasion, Suffolk batted first and reached an impressive 301-8 in their 50 overs.

But Herefordshire, led by current coach Richard Skyrme, surpassed their target by more than six overs without losing a wicket as Martin Weston (157 not out) and Harshad Patel (126 not out) dominated the visitors’ attack.

Suffolk won the toss on Sunday and elected to bat first at Stowe Lane, posting a score of 244-9 in their allotted 50 overs.
George Rhodes led with 90 from 113 balls and was supported by wicket-keeper Jacob Marston with a quick 37 from 31 balls.

James Rudge (3-45 from 10 overs) and Adam Hines (3-47 from 10 overs) led the Herefordshire bowling attack as they sought to restrict their opponents to a target that could be achieved in the shadow of the Malvern Hills.

T Cornall (2-59) and captain Matt Pardoe (1-33) continued to take wickets, but Suffolk managed to post an ultimately winning score of 244-9.

Herefordshire had a chance of winning thanks to an excellent partnership of 75 points between Ollie Walker (82) and Luke Powell.

The pair came together after Herefordshire had slipped to 125-6 and played a series of conventional and improvised shots, reducing the target at a rate of better than a run per ball.

Even when Powell was dismissed leg-before-run just before his first half-century for the county league, in an innings that included seven fours and a six from 37 balls, Walker continued to battle through.

However, the pressure was increased by the fact that Herefordshire had to win the game within their allotted 50 overs to progress to the knockout stages.

And Walker was dismissed when he was caught just inside the boundary and was dismissed in ninth over, scoring his eighth six with another impressive performance.

Despite losing the chance to advance, Sam Keeling-Wright and Adam Hines were able to reduce the gap further before Keeling-Wright was caught just inside the rope and headed for the boundary that would have brought victory.

The home county will now turn their attention to their NCCA Championship campaign in Western Division Two when they travel to Corsham on Sunday 7 July to face Wiltshire in the first three-day game of the season.

By Isla